Thursday, January 31, 2008

Week 2 - Weak Title

So what have I been up too? At first I thought this blog was going to say "I've been doing nothing special. It rained today. The end." but I was told that it would be the lamest blog ever and I realized it wasn't all that true either, I'm just lazy!

So here's the reality: Sunday I had lunch with Bethany and Heather at a Marion Ackrill's home (she has done homestays in previous years). We had amazing food and conversation and before we knew it, it was 3:15 and we were late for our group reading session of Henry IV! Unfortunately, that reading wasn't nearly as interesting as lunch had been! It was brutal!!! We had a few breaks near the end of the play to literally scream in frustration. Monday was drama auditions, which was another brutal experience for me (I can't, don't, shouldn't, and wouldn't act until this moment in time when I was forced into it because it's part of the curriculum). We did have some laughs though. . . at eachother. On Tuesday we had a tour of the area of Oxford we had yet to explore. Unfortunately I was feeling ADD that day and could not for the life of me pay attention to what our guide was telling us about the history of the buildings we saw, but I took some nice pictures anyways!





Courtyard of New College Chapel, the inside of which looks more like a Cathedral.



One of the stained glass windows in the Chapel, this picture doesn't do it justice!


The awesome organ way up above the sanctuary.


The organist was playing while we were there- it gave me chills!


That night, due to a major chocolate craving and suffering from sugar withdrawal (we never snack over here) Laura and I split on a chocolate cake and ate half of it while watching a movie- oh, comfort food, how we love thee!! Wednesday night we saw Henry V in Stratford! Everything about the play was amazing! It was the best theatre production I've ever seen (which would be all of 5). Today was our first rainy day since the day we arrived (and it only lasted half the day), unfortunately it was also quite windy and my poor umbrella didn't make it through! Don't ask me what I was thinking, the thing would've had to be all steel to survive, my only consolation was that I wasn't the only dumb Canadian who attempted it! After class some of us checked out some 'charity shops' (second hand stores) there was some pretty interesting stuff and we made some good purchases.

So that's it so far. Tomorrow we have more auditions (oh joy!) and Saturday we have a trip to Warwick Castle (pronounced War-ick) and Coventry Cathedral.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey jodi!!! looks like your having an awesome time!! you can tell you write a lot of essays lol you write lots, but thats a good thing its fun to see what u are up to!
take care
Loraine

Anonymous said...

Hi Jodi
Sounds like you are in a very interesting course. I would have loved to have been there to see you act!! You will have to give us a performance when you get home :)
Enjoy the weekend!
Love Aunt Evelina & Uncle Henry

Anonymous said...

Hey Jodi,
thanks for the updates; would love to see you act!! THe places you are seeing sound so cool; interesting and historical. We finally had our first snowday yesterday; 30cm of snow at least. Today it is soo beautiful on the trees. take care girl.
love you lots,
aunt annette and uncle rob
steph (at work) and mike too ( watching TV- are you surprised?):-)

Anonymous said...

hey jodi, sounds like your having alot of fun over there... you can so act, you just need to play a character that is sarcastic/kinda huffy hahaha
eric